Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Electronic Drums

I'm still fairly new to the role of electronics in drumming, and am starting to get really into it. I use a pad to trigger individual sounds, a small midi keyboard to play chords, and a microphone to produce whacked out effects. Oh yeah, and a drum kit.

The ensemble sound you can produce from such a setup is huge. People often think I'm hiding someone else offstage.

What ever your style of music, triggering external sounds can hugely benefit you. Here are some examples of places I have used electronics.

- Special effects for panto
- Triggering backing tracks for covers gigs
- Triggering strange intro tracks for rock bands
- Triggering a string line that can't be played live

etc etc. You get the idea. I use:

- a laptop £400
- a crappy edrum pad - £10
- midi keyboard £90
- midi cable £10
- soundcard £10
- open source software FREEEEEE

So for under £600 you can use electronics in your drumming...

No comments: