Saturday, December 8, 2007

Drumming For Everyone

Drum circles are a new thing for me.

I've just started doing some freelance work with a great company called Drumpulse, and they've really opened my eyes. We go in to a company or conference playing our hand drums (djembes, congas etc) and then facilitate the group to play in time with each other.

Wow. Coming from a drummer who has for years searched for the holy grail of technique, and taught students to never accept 2nd rate playing; seeing a group of complete beginners (and often strangers) playing complex rhythms after 30 minutes is amazing.

I've always known that drumming is good for the soul. It is a wonderful way of releasing tension (imagine your boss' face on one of your drums, and then happily hit away), exercising, creating and exploring yourself. Some people pray - I commune with myself via the drums.

So even if your are a complete beginner - find a drumming circle - and get involved!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_circle
http://www.drumpulse.com/

Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: